- 4-5 / Library Media Skills
- Dewey Decimal - The Great Dewey Hunt
- 30 minutes total
Common Core State Standards:
- CC.5.RI.7 Draw on information from multiple print or digital sources, demonstrating the ability to locate an answer to a question quickly or to solve a problem efficiently.
- Standard 2: Evaluate information critically and competently.
- The goal of this lesson is to apply the knowledge learned of the Dewey decimal system.
- The objectives are for the 4th and 5th grades to work in groups to fill out the Dewey Hunt Search Sheet.
- Small group work
Today is the Great Dewey Hunt! Get the students excited!
Create flags & have objects ready.
The Day of the Hunt:
1. Place each object on (or above) the shelf on which matching books are located.
2. Form ten teams of students.
3. Provide each Dewey Hunter team a Dewey Hunt Search Sheet (p. 9–10) with the following instructions:
• Locate an object on the shelf.
• Find a book nearby on the shelf with a subject that matches the object.
(Note: Objects are left on the shelf and only books are removed.)
• Write down the title and call number of the book on your Dewey Hunt Search sheet.• Find one object for each of the ten Dewey categories and one book to match each object.
As each Dewey Hunter team finishes their Dewey Hunt Search sheet, award them a Great Dewey Hunt Flag. When all teams have completed the hunt, ask them to stand in Dewey category order and then flip their flags to spell I LOVE DEWEY.
Instruction/Check for Understanding:
Challenge your class of Dewey Experts by administering the Great Dewey Hunt Assessment (p. 11–12). Seat students by Dewey group. Give each student a blank assessment form to record answers. Then, read a title from the master assessment sheet (or feel free to use actual titles from your own collection) and ask students to record the Dewey category that title belongs in.
If there’s time:
- Give time for library exploration.
- Have students line up alphabetically to leave the library.
Preview for Next Week:
- Tell students that next week we will begin catalog instruction.