- 4-5 / Library Media Skills
- Dewey Decimal
- Lesson adapted from The Great Dewey Hunt
- 30 minutes total
Common Core State Standards:
- CC.5.SL.1 Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 5 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- Standard 2: Evaluate information critically and competently.
- The goal of this lesson is to learn about the Dewey decimal system.
- The objectives are for the 4th and 5th grades is to distinguish between the Dewey categories and topics that correspond to the different numbers.
- Whole class instruction
- Ask students to tell me what they remember about Melvin Dewey and the Dewey decimal system from last week's lesson.
Continue with ThinkQuest:
- Read the Alien Story
- Dewey Groups
- Book Topics
- Let's Dew It
Instruction/Check for Understanding:
- During instruction, ask questions to determine if students are understanding the material.
If there’s time:
- Let students explore the library.
- Have students line up alphabetically to leave the library.
Preview for Next Week:
- Tell students that next week they will be exploring the Dewey categories in the library with partners.